[Gnumed-devel] making money from GNUmed

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] making money from GNUmed
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:54:21 +0100 (MET)

Hi all,

I know I will be beaten up for the following lines by the exact people who
volunteered to do (nothing) what I am about to discuss.

I am going to dicsuss this now to see what the feelings are.
Here is what I have in mind. Today I am asking as founder of a German
company who tries to make money off GNUmed. Today I am *not* Mr. release
guy. The GNUmed FOSS project in no way gave me permission to do anything nor
is this to be viewed as official GNUmed FOSS work.

Ok since I have not received any offers to build installers I will maybe
build one for Windows. I will make the XML file to build these available
under the GPL. I don't have to but I will.

What I will sell maybe is binary packages made from this script. What are
your opinions on that ? I am not selling licenses for GNUmed which cannot be
done. I am selling the service of providing prepackaged binaries which
contains code that is freely available. I will charge for providing these
packages on CD as well as for the CD it self. I am not claiming to be
authorized by the FOSS project GNUmed but do this on my own account.

I would appreciate any input. Before you start to rage. I am not keeping
anything from anyone. Everything you need to do what I do is available from
the Internet.

People who know me can imagine that any money made from this will help fund
GNUmed. It is my goal to employ a programmer sooner or later.

Sebastian Hilbert
www.gnumed-systemhaus.de

*
* help solving the protein folding problem
foldingathome.stanford.edu
*
* sign the linux driver petion :
http://www.libranet.com/petition.html