Re: [Gnumed-devel] question about gnumed and database

From: Syan Tan
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] question about gnumed and database
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 20:32:56 +0800

>gnuMEd is a long long way from being usable or installable, especially on
>mission critical things like you are indicating.

perhaps if you post the structure of the database , and a few deidentified
patients , then someone might like to write a import / and or export
script for it for gnumed.

patient demographics should be doable.
risk factors - are these coded , and what coding system , or are they
text entries ( not necessarily spelled correctly ? or drop list text ?)
indications - these are drop lists ?
referring physician - drop lists ?
procedure - drop lists ?
post-op write-up - corresponding to free text narrative ?

If you are on the windows side of the network, what do you
need to see on the linux side , ? text files .   You could try
installing the windows version of postgres on the windows side of
the network, and then you could use the windows PgAccess to view
your raw gnumed data on the linux side. If you need to import
stuff from the windows side of the network, then you could set
up a directory with say comma-delimited text files , and use
ftp , or a web server which an application/script on the linux side could
access to import data onto a gnumed/ or other custom postgres database.

Otherwise, someone on this list might have implemented a heterogenous
network file system using samba, and let us all know how to do it elegantly
;)