Re: [Gnumed-devel] Prescription printing in arbitrary countries and serv

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Prescription printing in arbitrary countries and services.
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:12:19 +0200

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 05:49:01PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> Presently some jurisdictions require that prescriptions be printed on
> paper that was individualized to the prescriber (name, address etc)
> where, further, each sheet bears a serial number. This is typical for
> controlled substances (narcotics), at least in my province.
Same here.

> For the above, neither faxing nor even printing onto the prescription
> will work, on account of it being a duplicate (2-part) prescription.
We use dot-matrix printers. They produce carbon copies due to
impact printing.

> Should we expect that as we get to electronic prescribing, there will
> be some sort of "transaction" or "authorization" number which,
> depending on the implementation, will apply either to individual
> items in the queue, or will apply in common to whichever items in the
> queue were transmitted during the single connection?
Those things are entirely up to the vagaries of the politician
of the day. Requirements presented to us will range from
easy-to-forge to surprisingly-sane all the way to
elaborate-beyond-practicability. Germany is currently
implementing the last of those three.