Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows: the pain of pyPgSQL

From: Ian Haywood
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Gnumed on Windows: the pain of pyPgSQL
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:29:39 +1000

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I do have to admit a pure Python one sounds intriguing and
> useful. I wonder why there isn't any. The one relevant
> question probably is: Can it be made performant ?
well, I'm happy to do some benchmarking.
I'm confident of beating PyPgSQL as it wastes time in a few places.
Also the others have to do two type mappings (network-> local C, C-> Python),
I only do one, but I'm not sure.

>>, mirroring typical
>>> practice for one may not know until completion of the visit what the
>>> episode (or is it the AOE?) should be called.
>
> Precisely. I have always wondered why Richard thought so bad
> of the episode name field at the top. It's gone now but can
> easily be resurrected.
Well, it was me ;-) At the time I said I thought Richard would
also support this (removal of compulsory manual episode-naming)
Deriving episode-names from soAp etc. is entirely my own idea.

>>> - saving of the item, which causes it to appear in the left hand
>>> panel with "(Episode)" appended
>>>    (why is it "Episode" whereas the item above it is "Grunderkrankung"?
>
> The problem list consists of open episodes (regardless of
> whether they belong to a health issue) and significant health
> issues (which are Grunderkrankungen). Thus "problems" can be
> of type "health issue" (think "past history item") or
> "episode".
Somehow we need to make this clearer visually. I know everyone hates tree
widgets,
but IMHO it woud be logical to have a (pre-expanded) tree widget with the
health issues
(and "Default", or "Unattached") at the toplevel and the open episodes (NB only
 can have more than one episode) on the second level.
Plus, just to formalise things, IMHO we should have four "rules":
        - saving a SOAP note without selecting an episode silently creates a
new episode under the default health issue
        - connecting  a SOAP note to a health issue silently creates a new
episode under that health issue (I assume we do this already)
        - new episodes are named after soAp, if blank then Soap.
        - episodes unused for 3 months (configurable) are silently closed.
The need for silence is important, otherwise we quickly enter Popup Hell (where
I am currently at work)
The idea is the computer can guess it right 90% of the time, and we can
manually correct it through a right-click menu
on the problem list when it doesn't.
Of course any or all of these rules can be turned on or off, maybe some people
like popups, I dunno ;-)

Ian