Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed install made easy - maybe

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed install made easy - maybe
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:15:12 +0200

On Monday 19 September 2005 00:00, Horst Herb wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:52, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > > Just stay up there a little longer - I absolutely love klik!

> > > I find the concept wonderful.
> >
> > Please klik this to boost your performance:
> >
> >  klick://somewhere-nice.org/lose-all-your-files.elf
>
> same as deb ftp://somewhere-nice.org/ ...
> or rpm -i lose-all-your-files.elf ...
>
> It doesn't really differ from any other type of binary download in terms of
> security. If you don't trust the source, don't do it.
>
> But since the majority of users are installing software on single user
> systems, it might even have a slight advantage by installing in user space
> as that user - in the very worst case, you lose the contents of your home
> directory, but not more
One nice thing about it is that it works from existing *.deb / *.rpm. One does
not have to package yet another format. If I understand this correctly one
needs to provide a recipe which tells klick where to fetch the rpm from as
well as some other stuff. It will then fetch the deb , repackage it into the
file which really is nothing more than a cramfs image. Mac user know this
concept already.

If you are paranoid just build from source. Don't forget to look at the source
first.

For the rest of us I guess common sense should help us to differentiate
between packages from trusted and untrusted sources.

4 more weeks to go before I will take a look at it.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany