Re: [Gnumed-devel] Debian packages

From: Richard Hosking
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Debian packages
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:39:03 +0800

Many thanks for your reply

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Which one ?

From the Gnumed site the

GNUmed-client.0.1.tgz <http://savannah.gnu.org/download/gnumed/GNUmed-client.0.1.tgz>

and I can reach the login screen
However I havent been able to go further because Gnumed cannot connect with a backend. In spite of fiddling with the gnumed.conf and pg_hdb.conf files havent had much success.
Try the server at server2.gnotary.de. Just edit the
gnumed.conf like so: Copy the profile for salaam, change the
hostname, add the profile to the profile list and restart
the client.

OK will try this

PostgreSQL is configured for local connections as far as I can tell.
If you mail me your pg_hba.conf I'll tell you what to put in there.

I would be grateful for any ideas or pointers. Ultimately I would like to contribute to the project but I am relatively low key as far as programming goes - first offering is an improved (?) gnumed install/uninstall script if people want this.

This is my current pg_hba.conf
I presume I will have to enable plain TCP/IP

Thanks
Richard

# PostgreSQL Client Authentication Configuration File
# ===================================================
#
# Refer to the PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide, chapter "Client
# Authentication" for a complete description.  A short synopsis
# follows.
#
# This file controls: which hosts are allowed to connect, how clients
# are authenticated, which PostgreSQL user names they can use, which
# databases they can access.  Records take one of seven forms:
#
# local      DATABASE  USER  METHOD  [OPTION]
# host       DATABASE  USER  IP-ADDRESS  IP-MASK   METHOD  [OPTION]
# hostssl    DATABASE  USER  IP-ADDRESS  IP-MASK   METHOD  [OPTION]
# hostnossl  DATABASE  USER  IP-ADDRESS  IP-MASK   METHOD  [OPTION]
# host       DATABASE  USER  IP-ADDRESS/CIDR-MASK  METHOD  [OPTION]
# hostssl    DATABASE  USER  IP-ADDRESS/CIDR-MASK  METHOD  [OPTION]
# hostnossl  DATABASE  USER  IP-ADDRESS/CIDR-MASK  METHOD  [OPTION]
#
# (The uppercase quantities should be replaced by actual values.)
# The first field is the connection type: "local" is a Unix-domain socket,
# "host" is either a plain or SSL-encrypted TCP/IP socket, "hostssl" is an
# SSL-encrypted TCP/IP socket, and "hostnossl" is a plain TCP/IP socket.
# DATABASE can be "all", "sameuser", "samegroup", a database name (or
# a comma-separated list thereof), or a file name prefixed with "@".
# USER can be "all", an actual user name or a group name prefixed with
# "+", an include file prefixed with "@" or a list containing either.
# IP-ADDRESS and IP-MASK specify the set of hosts the record matches.
# CIDR-MASK is an integer between 0 and 32 (IPv6) or 128(IPv6)
# inclusive, that specifies the number of significant bits in the
# mask, so an IPv4 CIDR-MASK of 8 is equivalent to an IP-MASK of
# 255.0.0.0, and an IPv6 CIDR-MASK of 64 is equivalent to an IP-MASK
# of ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::. METHOD can be "trust", "reject", "md5",
# "crypt", "password", "krb5", "ident", or "pam".  Note that
# "password" uses clear-text passwords; "md5" is preferred for
# encrypted passwords.  OPTION is the ident map or the name of the PAM
# service.
#
# INCLUDE FILES:
# If you use include files for users and/or databases (see PostgreSQL
# documentation, section 19.1), these files must be placed in the
# database directory. Usually this is /var/lib/postgres/data/, but
# that can be changed in /etc/postgresql/postmaster.conf with the
# POSTGRES_DATA variable. Putting them in /etc/postgresql/ will NOT
# work since the configuration files are only symlinked from
# POSTGRES_DATA.
#
# This file is read on server startup and when the postmaster receives
# a SIGHUP signal.  If you edit the file on a running system, you have
# to SIGHUP the postmaster for the changes to take effect, or use
# "pg_ctl reload".
#
# Upstream default configuration
#
# The following configuration is the upstream default, which allows
# unrestricted access to amy database by any user on the local machine.
# # TYPE DATABASE USER IP-ADDRESS IP-MASK METHOD
#
local   all         all                                             trust
# IPv4-style local connections:
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
# IPv6-style local connections:
#
# Put your actual configuration here
# ----------------------------------
#
# This default configuration allows any local user to connect as himself
# without a password, either through a Unix socket or through TCP/IP; users
# on other machines are denied access.
#
# If you want to allow non-local connections, you need to add more
# "host" records before the final line that rejects all TCP/IP connections.
# Also, remember TCP/IP connections are only enabled if you enable
# "tcpip_socket" in /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf.
#
# DO NOT DISABLE!
# If you change this first entry you will need to make sure the postgres user
# can access the database using some other method.  The postgres user needs
# non-interactive access to all databases during automatic maintenance
# (see the vacuum command and the /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/do.maintenance
# script).
#
# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        IP-ADDRESS        IP-MASK           METHOD
# Database administrative login by UNIX sockets
local   all         postgres                                        ident
sameuser
#
# All other connections by UNIX sockets
local   all         all                                             ident
sameuser
#
# All IPv4 connections from localhost
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   ident
sameuser
#
# All IPv6 localhost connections
host    all         all         ::1
ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff        ident sameuser
host    all         all         ::ffff:127.0.0.1/128                ident
sameuser
#
# reject all other connection attempts
host    all         all         0.0.0.0           0.0.0.0           reject