[Gnumed-devel] When & where to present GNUmed e.g. IEEE Symposium? Role

From: J Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] When & where to present GNUmed e.g. IEEE Symposium? Role of "Papers"?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:50:36 -0800

CBMS 2006 is the 19th IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems which will take place in June of 2006.

It was brought to my attention by colleagues who are proposing for inclusion a special track on Open Source Software and Open Document Formats. If the track is included, the associated publications may be more likely to get the attention of groups considering or advocating Open Source.

I don't know that we would by January 31 have a paper we would want to submit and, if accepted for presentation, a person who would want to go to Utah. But ever since the Google Summer of Code I have thought we should identify and compile a list of opportunities that we can pursue with strategic timing.

So at some point would we have "significant unpublished work" that we would want to write up and submit to a conference intending publication? What might we like to have published? Would a vehicle like http://cbms2006.ece.byu.edu/index.html be suitable? Anyone been thinking about the role of "publication"? I do think that the medical community does still value publications in legitimate journals over and above any self-promotional materials anyone can put on their own web site or wiki.