[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Live-CD available

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Live-CD available
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:20:57 +0100

Hi all,

A hassle free no installation Live CD is available for download. It is based
on Kanotix which seems to be a Linux which runs off this very CD with no
installation necessary. It does not change anything on your Computer.

Given you have a PC which can boot from CD all you have to do is download the
CD. Then use a program like k3b or xcdroast or a Windows program to burn the
so called iso image - the file you download. Whatever burn program you use
don't burn the downloaded file as a file but rather find the option where it
lets you burn CD images. Every CD burning app has this option I believe.

http://www.localhost1.de/knoppix/kanotix.iso

Then put the CD in the CD-ROM drive and let your PC start from it. It will
boot into a graphical environment (KDE). It will present you with a desktop
icon which lets you start GNUmed. You can use this CD to connect to the
public database over the internet *or* you can use a local database. Yes you
are right. GNUmed server can be started from this very CD as well.

So all you need is this CD to look at version 0.1 of GNUmed. If you are
presented with a German user interface and get lost let me know. The English
version is on there as well but the CD is premade to launch the German
version of GNUmed.

Try to do this with Windows. Try again. This CD has been made by a commercial
vendor which ships a Linux version of his commercial (German only) practice
management app on this CD as well. So when you read APW or APWLinux this is
the name of the commercial app. Those guys are not ready to open their source
nor do they have an English interface (German only) but they produced this CD
for us plus host the file to download

http://www.localhost1.de/knoppix/kanotix.iso

Don't say we don't make it easy to test and use GNUmed.
--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany