Re: [Gnumed-devel] UML for GNUmed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] UML for GNUmed
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:54:50 +0100

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 12:55:13AM -0200, Daniel Minahim wrote:

> > > No, a medical background is not essential although desirable.
It'll be possible but really quite hard to get "it". It's
difficult for non-community doctors to grasp the dynamics of
GP care - let alone for software developers. I have
witnessed them struggle.

> > If I decide to employ this guy he could talk to Karsten.
Yes. I am happy to assist with any questions.

> You'll know, he needs to know the requirements, check the attached .xmi I've
> quickly assembled in Umbrello (as a quick prototype :) ). I did those based
> on WhatCanIActuallyDoWiki.

> > Sounds good to me. One more silly question. Do the diagrams from pg_autodoc
> > have anything to do with this ?
> No, autodoc won't do much but generate html and png.
However, autodoc generates a visualization of how the
database objects are related to each other. Which is the
first step in reverse-engineering this into a "proper" UML
diagram.

> > If you need any information about the use case itself I can help.
> > Maybe this helps too:
> > http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/BasicEmrConcept
Which is sort of our "data dictionary" and describes what is
the *minimum* necessary to know for modelling.

> > http://salaam.homeunix.com/twiki/bin/view/Gnumed/WhatCanIActuallyDOWithGNUmedToday
Which are function points that are implemented.

> 1) We'll use Object Oriented Design
> 2) We'll use UML 2.0 to make the models and .xmi file format to exchange them.
> 3) We'll first reverse engineer/create the Use-Case and Class Diagram for the
> DB
Sounds good to me.

> Graphics: You'd generate those inside the modelling tool, neither Umbrello
> nor
> ArgoUML can do those from command line.
Which is a shame and a major pain as it would mean we'd have
to populate the web manually.

Note: Python doesn't directly support Aspect-oriented
programming without fairly clever metaclass manipulation
AFAIK.