Re: [Gnumed-devel] annual influenza , regime exception

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] annual influenza , regime exception
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 12:35:57 +0100

On Sun, Jan 01, 2006 at 08:17:50AM +0800, Syan Tan wrote:

> the influenza vaccine is only vaccine that is indefinitely repeated (annually)
> in oz after 65 years of age.
If one wants to be nit-picking about it we don't vaccinate
against "influenza" but rather against a certain mix of
influenza viruses - changing each year. Thus the repeat
isn't really a booster shot. So, it would be well justified
to set up a new single-shot vacc regime each and every year.
Which is, of course, stupid from a pragmatic angle.

I would therefor suggest simply setting up a regimen with
two vaccinations: The first shot and then boosters every
year. This would auto-gain us indefinite repeating. Does
that sound practical ?

I wonder whether it'd be possible to leave off the initial
shot definition, too. Technically I don't see a problem
there currently, however, for 99% of regimen one would want
a check that there not be a booster shot defined without at
least one initial shot. That isn't trivial to implement as a
constraint, though. Will take a shot (hehe).