Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems with Medica Knoppix CD

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems with Medica Knoppix CD
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:35:03 +0100

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 08:52:47AM +1100, Tim Churches wrote:

> Knoppix includes a lot of applications, which is great for general
> purpose use but not so good for the purposes of demonstrating a single
> application like GNUmed.
Very true. See, the work to setup a live-CD has been done
(and paid for) for us by a kind 3rd party person so *that's*
what we can't do much about. We can certainly build on your
work to get a leaner ISO. Thanks for the hint.

> We've been working on a demo liveCD for NetEpi,
> based on Ubuntu 6.10. By carefully stripping out things that aren't
> necessary, the resulting liveCD ISO, with PostgreSQL and Python and
> Firefox and other NetEpi dependencies installed, but still with the the
> full Gnome desktop, is down to about 320MB,
Much better.

> again. All this customisation and rebuilding of the liveCD ISO image is
> done via a single shell script (which has lots of build environment
> dependencies, but that is mostly a matter of apt-getting the
> requirements on a Debian system to create the chrooted build environment
> first). We'll be including this demo disc build script in the next
> NetEpi release (Mozilla Public License) in the next few weeks, so there
> is no reason why it couldn't be modified and used to create a slimmer,
> Ubuntu-based GNUmed demo liveCD.
Sounds good !  Please do let me know when you release it so
we can benefit from your work.

> The modified script would need to
> retain its Mozilla license if you distributed it,
No problem.

> but there is no
> compatibilty problem there with GNUmed's GPL licensing, since it is just
> a build script, not something that communicates with or links to GNUmed
> ar runtime (not that that is a problem anyway if you read the GPL
> carefully).
I agree.

> Oh, we also have persistence working too (actually this is built-in tot
> he Ubuntu liveCD, but a bit of extra fiddling was needed to get it
> right). If the user unzip a file called casper-rw, which contains a
> loopback ext3 filesystem, in the root directory of a USB memory stick,
> and boots the demo liveCD and choses persistence mode, then all chnaged
> data is stored on the USB stick - and this includes the PostgreSQL
> database. Seems to work rather well. I wouldn't trust it for production
> use, but great for demo purposes - you can enter data, close down, and
> the reboot the demo liveCD with your USB stick inserted and bingo, all
> your demo data is still there.
Very nice !