Re: [Gnumed-devel] forms handling / NetEpi

From: Tim Churches
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] forms handling / NetEpi
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 08:11:35 +1000

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 06:48:10AM +1000, Tim Churches wrote:
>
>> openEHR archetype definitions are supposed to be stored as blobs, but
>> the actual data values can be stored in XML or in a database which uses
>> the RIM as its schema.
> I wasn't aware of that, thanks.
>
>> In that sense, openEHR is just a more elaborate
>> version of the EAV formulation. The problem is that building a complete
>> openEHR kernel, and testing it, is not a trivial undertaking, evidenced
>> by the fact that none of the teams working on openEHR (for many, many
>> years, some for a decade or more) have done it yet (at least not to teh
>> stage that they have released such engines for sale or downlaod).
> And you seem to be the only one on the relevant mailing
> list(s) ever saying so. For some strange reason no one else
> seems to take note of this rather interesting lack of a
> testable kernel.

I think most other people on the openEHR mailing list are working in or
with groups that are developing openEHR implementations.  The open
source Java implementation is at V1.0 rc3 but the readme says there is
still a lot to do, and there is no query language implementation last
time I looked, so you can store data but not query it, as far as I can
tell. All other openEHR implementations are closed-source/proprietary.

openEHR seems good in theory but I am an empiricist and like to try
things in practice. Frustrating!

Tim C