Re: [Gnumed-devel] server upgrading

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] server upgrading
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 12:12:08 +0200

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 12:47:55AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

>> On Windows simply start upgrade
>> database from the start menu instead of bootstrap latest to go from v6 to
>> v7.
>> This has been introduced with version 0.2.7.0
>
> You say version 0.2.7.0 which is a client version... so the "upgrade
> database" menu will appear in the Start menu of the machine that only has
> the client? Or was it introduced with version 7 of the database and only
> appears on the server's Start menu?

So far we have always released new client and database
versions in parallel which isn't a requirement, however.

The client will check the database it connects to for
suitability during startup and complain about mismatches.

In the future it may happen that the database version stays
constant over major client releases (0.2.7 -> 0.2.8, say).
We have had backend stability across minor releases already
(say, 0.2.7.1 -> 0.2.7.2).