[Gnumed-devel] Observations about how GNUmed is written

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Observations about how GNUmed is written
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:08:40 -0700

A fellow who I believe is pretty familiar with Postgres had a look at GNUmed's code and offered me these thoughts that he was happy to have me forward to the list...

James [Jim]

This is primarily directed to you...

Looking at the gnumed server code I find it both brilliant and questionable at the same time.

1) The use of XMIN for detecting concurrent updates. In general using any system column from another piece of infrastructure is fragile. The semantics of XMIN is part of postgresql it should not be part of gnumed. The postgresql developers are free to change the semantics of XMIN as they wish. They are saving 1 integer column, or timestamp column to do this properly. Is it worth it ?

2) Using updateable views is also very "correct" however has anyone tested this on a huge database ? All those foreign keys are wonderful, but will take forever to rebuild. I've seen foreign key checks on a restore take a few hours to run through.
3) Where are the test cases ? Are there any regression tests ?