Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed client > 0.2.8.1 menu alteration proposals

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed client > 0.2.8.1 menu alteration proposals
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:00:34 +0100

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 09:35:37PM -0800, James Busser wrote:

> Before I make some specific suggestions I need to know how we would
> separate and organize (and therefore make clear) those user alterations
> that would affect their entire GNUmed system as opposed to preferences or
> alterations that would be constrained to the machine or account or instance
> of the client that is active.

By design all options that get set explicitely are
constrained to "this" user and workplace. It is just that an
administrator can set user/workplace independant values
which will get looked up and then used as the default value
should no user/workplace specific default exist.

The other facet of this is that in the code options can be
defined to user OR workplace independant for lookup. Such
that if a workplace-independant option is set in one
workplace by a user and is looked up under the same user but
with a different workplace it is still found and reused. If,
at some point, the user would chose to explicitely set that
option under the second workplace that value would take
precedence - for that workplace.

In general it should just work.

> Clearly the "Database" will affect all users of the system...
No, not necessarily. There are database options which apply
to each user such as the language the database converts some
strings into.

> I am thinking
> to suggest some separation on opposite sides of a dotted menu item of those
> actions that would affect all users from those that would not.
Some sort of indication as to what is system-wide seems
useful, yes.

> What about the other options UI / External Tools / EMR ... where do any
> changes get written, and what is the level at which changes result?
user/workplace

> I am willing to try to learn to understand some of the code... if I browse
>
>       http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnumed/gnumed/client/?root=gnumed
>
> can I be pointed to how I would figure out which menu selections invoke
> which pieces of code? Or is that approach too naive?
It is not naive and, indeed, it is - short of just knowing -
the only way. The menu items are defined in
client/wxpython/gmGuiMain.py in __setup_main_menu().

You might want to pick an example and see what that leads to
and ask back if anything is unclear.