[Gnumed-devel] modification request: display of DOB and Gender

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] modification request: display of DOB and Gender
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 20:50:51 -0800

On 22-Jan-08, at 3:16 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

The alternative

        Last, Title First +- more

would be clearer.
Done.

"Lasts, Title/Salutation Firsts (nick)"

Good. I understand you were preferring to preserve real estate as much as possible.

I have one more idea. It can be very useful in phone communications or in other verifications to easily have available the current patient's date of birth.

We do not need the search / name display field to be as wide as it presently is and could re-purpose some of this "width". I am comfortable to recommend that we do this slight narrowing (70 pixels) because it would remain enough, even on only a 1024 wide screen, to display

        Nixtadenermeyerski, Mr Bratislavich Miderastify

In the case of a name that may be ridiculously longer, the surname and title and first name will always be fully preserved as will part (if not all ) of the middle and warrior names. In the rare circumstance that more detail is required it could be gotten from the Patient details plugin.

This would permit us to combine the newly reclaimed 70 pixels of width with the "Age" space, to provide a combination of Age + Gender + DOB, pushing Caveat slightly to the right if needed, to yield:

        YYYY-MM-DD Gender YYageMMage

        e.g. 1958-05-14 M 59y8m

or

        YYageMMage Gender YYYY-MM-DD

I would abbreviate Gender in this display to the first character (in many cases, regardless of language, this will be M or F, or rarely T).

Width might be saved by using periods instead of hyphens in DOB as 1958.05.14