[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUMed Server RPM

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUMed Server RPM
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:07:35 +0100

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:59:43 -0800 (PST)
> Von: Paul Grinberg <address@hidden>
> An: Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, "Andreas \\(Debian\\)" <address@hidden>
> Betreff: Re: GNUMed Server RPM

> --- Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 05:29:45PM -0800, Paul Grinberg wrote:
> >
> > > I did the full installation process.
> > Very nice ! I saw the "somehow you lost all your data" line
> > in the script. Feel free to ask for help on the mailing
> > list. The bootstrapping/upgrading can be tricky at times.
>
> Thanks for your comments. As far as the "somehow you lost all your
> data", it's there really only for one reason - to indicate to the user
> that something bad just happened. However, that code should never
> execute for now. RPMs have the ability to distinguish between first
> time installation and upgrade of a package. Since this is the first
> time a gnumed-server SRPM was created, there is nothing to upgrade
> from. So, until v9 of the server comes out, we don't have to worry
> about that code.

Good to know but v9 is not that far away.

> > Also, the pg_hba adjustment can be difficult. PostgreSQL
> > does not parse for entries further down in the file if an
> > entry further up matches and DENIES access.
>
> I agree! And since my exposure to postgresql has been very limited
> (this is the first time I'm actually doing something useful with it) I
> would very much like to get someone's feedback on what the installation
> process is still missing.
I created server packages for openSUSE and installed those. Bootstrapping
worked flawlessly. My client talks to the server but I had installed previously
so I have to check where a clean installation from rpm leads me.

> Also, I uploaded the SRPM for the client. You can find it at
> http://www.matoilnet.net/~santa/bag/Gri6507/gnumed/. One thing you'll
> notice is that I have combined the client, common, and doc packages
> into one SPEC file (it still generated three RPMs with the expected
> names, but does so in a more proper/easier way).
Good to know I will change that for openSUSE as well and get the file into CVS.

> I was also wondering whom can I ask some questions about getting the
> client to work with the server. It seems like my installation of the
> client does not want to talk to the server (at least not my local
> server). But then again, I'm not even sure if I setup the client
> correctly.
You can try connecting to the freely available server (salaam.homeunix.com)
In any case just send the log files our way. There should be a gnumed.log
somwehere. Ask if you need more assistance.