Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on Ubuntu

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed on Ubuntu
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 18:43:21 +0200

> > Quite some bug reports lately. Mostly because Ubuntu Hardy ships a
> > outdated
> > GNUmed version (0.2.8.2)
>
> Maybe Ubuntu does not actually contain 0.8,2 but just an instruction
> to download 0.8.2.
Well, no, the recently released Ubuntu is what would amount to what is called
"stable" in Debian proper. The do indeed ship 0.2.8.2 all the while 0.2.8.6 (a
strictly bug-fixes release over 0.2.8.2) was well available when that Ubuntu
version was released.

> But maybe that version is specified ("pinned") in
> Ubuntu Hardy and will not automatically download the newest GNUmed
> until a future release codes an instruction to use a newer version.
Yes.

> Ideally Ubuntu would permit whatever is the newest (highest) GNUmed
> release to be used.
It does. But only in the "testing" versions of Ubuntu, just like in Debian
itself.

> Wouldn't Ubuntu (like Debian) have a global
> command to "update all of my packages" which would hopefully be done
> by people who download any release of Ubuntu / Debian?
In fact it is the *very same* command as in Debian:

  apt-get dist-upgrade

However, people who just installed the latest and greatest Ubuntu are unlikely
to go and "fix" their system to make it even latester and greatester.