[Gnumed-devel] Re: detect a newer version is available

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: detect a newer version is available
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 09:42:35 -0700

On 5-May-08, at 5:25 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote
(in     Re: [Gnumed-devel] <bug>: sprechzimmer 1)
Ubuntu has the 0.2.8.6 version in a seperate repository as well but users
might not be aware of those.
We will have client-based notification of updates in 0.2.9.

As an additional suggestion, Apple's interface includes , in the Apple menu, "Software Update..." and also, in the System Preferences, a "Software Update" control panel.

The menu item (ours would be in a GNUmed client menu) works as follows:

- on invoking, proceeds immediately to check for updates and while doing so gives a notice and progress thermometer. If anything is found, the available updates are listed and below the list is a text area. Clicking any item in the list reveals any supplied "Update information".

- if there is nothing new, the user is given an alert "Your software is up to date. (and in smaller text) Software Update doesn't have any new software for your computer at this time." An OK button will dismiss both this alert and the update information window beneath.

- if there is something new... etc

For the preference settings, Apple's panel has 2 panes (screenshots attached)

"Update software" offers
- - whether to check for updates automatically (Daily Weekly or Monthly)
- - whether to download in the background... I think the difference is that in the foreground, even while other applications can in fact continue to be run in the front-most GUI layers, updates can demand that the user will quit some current applications (which in our case might apply to GNUmed) and may demand that the user restart the computer. I imagine that this is avoided when the user simply has the updates downloaded in the background, until the updates are run. The only thing would be they would then need some reminder that they had already downloaded new versions.
-- a "Check Now" button
- an "Installed Updates" pane with a filter field (although we would hopefully not fill a window with such a long list) and one additional button "Open as Log file" which opens the Mac file "Software Update.log"

PNG image

PNG image