Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Open Office templates

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Open Office templates
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:56:53 +0200

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 09:15:05AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> As I look at the Open Office (2.4) File > Wizard for

The currently implemented conceptual approach is that GNUmed
drives OOo, not the other way round. It is technically just
as sound but easier to implement for our current needs.

> "Letter" it offers, in the section "Recipient and sender"
>
> 1) for the 'Sender" to employ user data for a return address
>
> --> is it envisioned for GNUmed to supply this information
Sure, but GNUmed will not let OOo ask itself for the data
but will rather parse the template and replace the
placeholder for, say, Sender. Then it will tell OOo to
create a document from the template. If that template
happend to be suitable for generating "letters" the document
will be a letter.

> and do we
> already have -- or require in ToDo -- a place in GNUmed in which to
> configure the praxis information?
We require this as a TODO item.

> 2) for the "Recipient's address" oo offers to either use placeholders, or
> to use an address database.
>
> --> I know that in maybe-distant future there may be a value to
> supporting a batch-communication to (for example) all patients taking a
> certain medication and it may be good to be able to efficiently:
>
> i) compose an automated communication that will be addressed, and can be
> "routed" (secure email?) to each of them and
Such may, indeed, more efficiently be done by making OOo
access GNUmed data by itself.

One approach I considered to make this happen is to use the
Wollmux project which does just that for the Munich City
Government.

> ii) store, for each patient, a copy of what had been addressed to them,
> in their document archive
Absolutely, when serial (?) letters are sent out that fact
should be documented, perhaps by importing the appropriately
adjusted copy into the patient chart.