[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed in Section contents in Synaptic Package Manage

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed in Section contents in Synaptic Package Manager
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:49:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, James Busser wrote:

I noticed within Synaptic's left-sided package "Sections", that the filter "Documentation" *does* show

        gnumed-doc

Sure.  Policy says doc packages should reside under section doc.

However, it may be nice to think under what section gnumed-client might be placed... will Lenny provide sections like Business or Health or Medical or Professional? (In Etch it appears, perhaps by exclusion, only under "Miscellaneous - Text based".

Well, we have a problem here because a general system like Debian is not
able to feature very specific sections.  The solution we try to advertise
is to install the meta package med-practice.  Do you think that makes sense
or do you suggest a better help for people seeking for software to manage
a medical practice.

Many of Ubuntu error logs may originate from casual users (tourists) lacking any real interest in GNUmed, I suppose that if every 100 curious people included 5 or 10 clinicians (or IT people) who may get very interested in GNUmed, then for people to find out about GNUmed as a result of its listings could be very useful.

Well, the idea was: People working in medical care should seek for "med-*"
in synaptic.  That should not be too hard.  Later we might be able to
ship a dedicated Debian Med CD that has an adapted tasksel menu which
features the options you get from the med-* packages.

Ideas to help this further:
Anyone using the "stable" versions of Debian and Debian-based distros like Ubuntu need to be aware that extra steps are required to become aware of, and to install, the server software, and/or newer versions of the GNUmed client. See the online information at www.gnumed.org.

See my response to your self-reply.

Kind regards and thanks for your hints

        Andreas.

--