[Gnumed-devel] Re: Today's lessons

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Today's lessons
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:51:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Geordie wrote:

My Linux adventure started two years ago when I tried to get etch gnome
running on an old toshiba laptop. XP had worked fine on it, a little tweaking
here and there, and the odd crash but nothing extrordinary. The laptop was a
spare so time to play. Well gnome just did not repond slow and an awful
experience. So off to Etch XFCE.

Xfce is nice regarding performance and simplicity - I'm using it myself.

Well to make it work correctly I needed programs from testing. Trying to make
Debian work in a split environment(stable and testing)

Fine.  That works perfectly.  You can either use stable + backports.org
or just run testing.  I'm running testing on nearly all my machines with
the exception of servers.

is not a fun
experience I finally got XFCE to work after ISO CD came out. It was a long
road over many months, but I succeeded.

Huh, why?  If you had a running Etch upgrading to testing should have
been very simple and smooth.  There is no need for an installation from
CD.  Just upgrade via Internet (if possible).

This is the fourth operating system (I started on a mac) I have played in and
I find LInux a challenge and not for the faint of heart. It seems to take a
long time to make things work.

I have not used a Mac myself but had several positive reports.

When I did the next laptop I decided on sidux after a lot of reading. I think
what convinced me was the rolling upgrades. I liked the idea so why not give
it a try.

I have no idea what they mean by "rolling upgrades".  I update my boxes
to recent testing in different intervalls: My laptop is more or less
dayly updated.  For my desktop which is running some development system
and test environment for servers about one or twice a month.

Actual I am quite impress with the way sidux team has packaged the
product and it works 99.9% of the time which is far better my xp boxes. Also
at the beginning of my Etch experience, people were upgrading from Sarge to
Etch it might be painless

Well upgrading Debian should be painless.

but it reminded me to much of ME to XP experience.

Why?

Also in the windows world I upgrade the software whenever a new version came
out, so software upgrades here are not uncommon.

Well, it is not about common or uncommon upgrades.  It is about the
term UNSTABLE which was choosen for a reason.  If you an WANT unstable
you should be aware of problems, because you asked for it.

So here I am
and lovin every minute of it

You are free to do so - but I can not help in case of serious trouble with
GNUmed on Sidux because I do not know this system enough.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de