Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin.operation

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clin.operation
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:05:19 +0200

Hello Jerzy,

> When I joined this list I mentioned I need operation reports and radiology
> reports.
I remember.

> Well, I am working on operations for some time now, preparing separate
> notebook tab/plugin. I think it is almost ready for wide beta test, just
> needs some clean-up. If you wait 2-3 days, I will send it to Karsten for
> preliminary approval, then I hope it will be included in CVS. I plan to
> put
> it into production on my site in the next week.

Excellent ! I am looking forward to seeing your code. Note that I will be away
from my
development machines September 11th to October 10th. I can review by email but,
say,
Sebastian will have to check in during that time.

> Regarding James' note:
> >In the schema, clin.operation says
>
>         use clin.health_issue.age_noted for date of operation
>
> Date in health issue is not enough. People are operated on several times
> for
> the same problem.
See, that's the mismatch of intent. In Richard's original design it was just a
simple
flag denoting whether or not a particular health issue was operated on *at all*
or not.

Even at that time I was uncertain as to whether that would suffice. I didn't
think so but
OTOH didn't want to think it through fully (as there were more basic things to
get
down first). Anyway, what you are heading towards now (and which is fine with
me if
done in a technically correct way) is "full" support for operations.

Can you, btw, give a bit of detail what the use case is you are trying to solve
? Without the
use case we will not be able to tell whether your implementation should have
some
improvement or not.

A first thought that occurs to me that you may be solving one specific instance
of a general
"report on a therapeutic procedure" use case (which is fine). IOW, perhaps your
code and/or
tables may need some generalization as to supporting "something" being done to
"someone"
by "a few actors" with the help of "a few things".

Without knowing your use case we cannot sensibly tell whether or not this is so.

Mind you - it is still fine to solve your direct and specific use case. But
perhaps - even if in
a later iteration - more could be gotten out of it. This is often easier if
there is some planning
on that beforehand.