[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed manual

From: Rogerio Luz
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed manual
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:41:48 -0300

I for one if there was a need to make a hard copy in the machines I use in hospitals would not be able too.

I have personally updated and changed the wiki in these envirorments

Rogerio

There is a problem when one hopes to contribute a bit of work from a locked-down unowned (e.g. hospital) machine... some of them will not accept USB sticks and, even if they did, I alsways find a risk of leaving it behind or untended when called away or having to move around the hospital.

Typically on such machines, even if you did have some local "write" ability, you would not be able to sync that diskspace nor be allowed to access it from outside the institution. This reduces the contributor to having to record it somewhere via the web, which purpose the wiki serves.

I agree with avoiding where possible to do anything twice, or at least -- if something is needed in more than one form -- by needing only 1.9x effort or, ideally, only 1.1x.

If there is a tool that can pull from the wiki, all the better. Ideally we might define either an internal wiki page, or an external template, in which the wiki pages of interest can be specified, and those could get "pulled" (with their wiki syntax converted) into some other form.

The wiki can by the way be pulled down anonymously with

       wget http://salaam.homeunix.com/~ncq/gnumed/wiki-backup/GNUmed-Wiki-backup.tgz

There is presently at least one tool of possible value (below) but only for limited purposes (PDF)... I will aim to see if there are others useful for some interconversion. I am happy to look at ways to contribute to a manual but the wiki does serve many useful purposes at least at this early stage. At the same time I agree that something that did not need to be online would be worth developing, if we are being optimistic to make GNUmed even more future-usable.

https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/TWiki/GenPDFAddOn