Re: [Gnumed-devel] the whole language thing

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] the whole language thing
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 14:20:10 +0200

> Could we please consolidate some of our information (some of which
> may exist only in people's heads and unknown-to-me places in the code).
>
> I understand GNUmed chose to make English the primary language, I
> guess that means that the main trunk code contains English strings
> for all things like menus, menu items, on-screen labels.
correct, same for "basic names of things in the database such as encounter
types"

> GNUmed is also "internationalized" which means (??) it is configured
> to *support* (allow) translation?
correct

> A translation is a structured set of strings that are able to
> substitute for any or all of the menus, menu items, window title bar
> text, and on-screen labels (literals) for the fields and for dialog
> box questions or information. (??)
correct except that *some* message boxes are handled by the OS directly so
button labels in them depend on the locale the OS is in -- since we detect and
adapt to that it really should be the same as GNUmed itself

 And where a translation is
> incomplete, it need not cause any problem other than the unspecified
> or incomplete portions causing the menus etc to display in the
> primary language?
correct

> The public db at salaam has a
>
>       currently selected database language ('de_DE')
>
> which does not match my current system language ('en_CA'). However I
> cannot tell that choosing "Set" or "Don't set" makes any difference.
it only applies to data in the tables