Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy

From: James Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] EMR tree display of allergy
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:50:36 -0700

On 23-Sep-08, at 10:26 AM, James Busser wrote:

I am having a bit of a hard time to see the flow with proposed states

As I think about it, the worry about being sued should only be if it can be successfully argued that you did not seem to (adequately) ask.

Provided we can say that we asked then, sure, it is possible that we got less than a fully satisfactory answer. However it would seem we should always in this case make a text entry like "apparently some but cannot recall" or "rash in hospital - details awaited" or "would not say". We could even (and may as well) add into the fray one additional corner case: imagine a patient who, despite lacking known allergies, knows this is no protection against an adverse event, therefore refuses to commit "no allergies" because, after all, how could he know until after he had been prescribed the drug? Therefore, in his mind, this could be protecting himself from having signed away any of his rights if something later happened.

Regardless, a state which is "asked, not none" would seem to cover all the other states, the other states including

- definite and possible allergies
- recording a comment to the effect that details cannot be specifically remembered - recording a comment to the effect that the patient refused to commit details (or a lack of allergy)

Since all of the aforementioned justify a requirement for text entry if they are to be captured, their entry would decide that the allergy state must have been asked and cannot be none. The allergy manager would only need the capacity to accept text (or substance database list) entries, and if there was nothing to enter, the user could simply click a single button "Asked, None". If for any reason there was discomfort around the "None", the user could input something into the allergy manager. The state of allergy could then be computed.

I am having a hard time seeing the operational implications of supporting any values other than "asked, none" or "asked, something- as-can-be-seen-from-detail" on the user. If it is intended that there be some means to prompt the user to address it next time (maybe you are awaiting details to come from collateral, or maybe you are hoping to have more of the patient's trust at the next visit) then I could see some value to "!?" as a prompt. Is that the intended use?