Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.3.5 client released

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed 0.3.5 client released
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 17:57:59 +0100

On Sonntag 02 November 2008, you wrote:

> Nice to hear gnumed is still under heavy development :-) .
> I have some questions about the status quo of the project, since
> i'm in the process of updating the client and server packages for
> Mandrivalinux 2009.0.
>
> 1. When using client-0.3.5 and server v9, i can't connect to either
> local or remote database, the selection field only says v8 for both.

How do you produce the rpm ? Do you ship a current config file ?

Please check if an old config file exists in /home/user/.gnumed/gnumed.conf

from previous installation

which needs to be updated.

> The error message displayed is a bit irritating, it says:
>

>     Diese Datenbankversion kann mit dieser Programmversion nicht
>     verwendet werden:
>
>      Version des Client: 0.3.5
>      Gefundene Version: v8
>      Benötigte Version: v9
>
>     Momentan geöffnete Datenbank:
>
>      Server: salaam.homeunix.com
>      Datenbank: gnumed_v8
>      Nutzer: any-doc

It tells me that you are trying to connect to a version 8 database with a
0.3.5 client which can only be used with a version 9 database.

> Does that mean that the client now requires a v9 database?
> And what does "Gefundene Version: v8" mean?
> And about the public remote database, i thought this would
> always be the latest version?

It is but you chose to connect to an older version which exists there as well.

> 2. The project status overall. Is the client-0.3.5/server-v9 the
> new "stable" series or is it the development version?

new stable. 0.2.8.x is in bugfix mode.

> Which
> version should be used for productive usage? I found the
> wiki a bit unclear at this point, as it only mentions current
> and past releases, but not the status in general, or did
> i overlook something there?

see above.

> 3. The third one is more technical. When the bootstrap-latest.sh
> script is run during rpm installation, it always fails at the very first
> step,
> probably where user interaction is required. If the same commands
> used in the rpm are run manually, the bootstrap process runs
> as usual (asks at every step for yes/no and what password).
> How should i do the debugging?

so you are saying it does not aks anything when run from an rpm installation ?

> The bootstrapping-v2.log file gives this information:
>
>     2008-11-02 17:16:07  DEBUG     gm.cfg
>     (/usr/lib/gnumed-server/Gnumed/pycommon/gmCfg2.py::get() #312):
>     option [installation::description] found in source
>     [file]
>     2008-11-02 17:16:07  ERROR     gm.bootstrapper
>     (./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py::<module>() #1399): unhandled exception
>     caught
>
>     Traceback (most recent call
>     last):
>
>       File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 1397, in
>     <module>
>         main()
>       File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 1372, in main
>         handle_cfg()
>       File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 1318, in handle_cfg
>         if not ask_for_confirmation():
>       File "./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py", line 1188, in
> ask_for_confirmation answer = raw_input("Type yes or no: ")
>     EOFError: EOF when reading a line
>     2008-11-02 17:16:07  ERROR     gm.bootstrapper
>     (./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py::exit_with_msg() #1231): Bootstrapping
>     failed: unhandled exception occurred
>     2008-11-02 17:16:07  INFO      gm.bootstrapper
>     (./bootstrap_gm_db_system.py::exit_with_msg() #1232): shutdown
>
> Can you tell me what this means?
>
> 4. The announce mentions packages for Mandriva 2009 are in the works.
> May i ask who packages/works on them?

I am not really working on them. If you succeed and produce high quality
packages I would like to have them built by the buildservice of
OpenSUSE/Novell.

I would use your spec file and let the buildservice do the rest.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany