Re: [Gnumed-devel] Someone needs GNUmed/Postgresql help help

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Someone needs GNUmed/Postgresql help help
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:49:26 +0100

> On Dienstag 10 Februar 2009, Allan MacKinnon wrote:
> > Karsten (or someone), perhaps you can help with a gnumed/postgresql
> problem
> > someone posted in our forum.
> >
> > I'm just not as knowledgeable as you all are on this subject ;)
> >
> > http://linuxforclinics.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19
>
> This issue is currently being investigated. He wrote me a private mail.
> Karsten is looking into the issue.
>
> It seems to be a problem for psycopg2 in some timezones.

The issue is found. The workaround for 0.3 is:

open ~/.gnumed/gnumed.conf

find or add the group [backend]

add or edit the option "client timezone" and set it to
a timezone that works and correctly reflects your time zone,
say "05:30:00" for "Asia/Calcutta"

The issue is being worked around in code in GNUmed starting with 0.4:

During timezone detection GNUmed will verify that the detected
time zone is actually usable and tries another one if not.

The root of the issue is that there are several time zones in
PostgreSQL which can be *set in the database* but cannot be
*parsed by psycopg2*  :-(    I wrote to the psycopg2 mailing
list about this issue.

http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01