Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Better-supporting staff and other non-patient persons
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 00:12:27 -0700

On 11-Jun-09, at 1:45 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote
In light of now being able to create person records without
a date of birth shall we rename "register new patient" as
"register person" ? It would then make a lot more sense.

Yes

We also recognize that we may wish to
create (register) additional persons, who are not patients and who are not staff, in the database. I am thinking here consultant physicians or other clinicians whom we may wish to attach as involved in the care of
particular patients.
Since there is no explicit marker to the effect of "this is
a patient" I fail to fully appreciate the problem (apart
from previously having to enter some sort of DOB which,
however, isn't taken into argument here).

Do we anywhere relate a table defining kinds of people? When I would wish to locate contact information for

        Wong, T (doctor)

as opposed to various other instances of persons also named

        Wong, T (patients and other non-doctors)

existing in GNUmed, how will this be managed?
What if I wish to locate a set of cardiologists among whom I might make a referral?

The clinical plug-ins (EMR tree, Progress notes, EMR journal, Documents, Attach documents, and Measurements) should refuse to be switched- to the way they presently refuse when "no patient is selected". In other words,
they should require more than having a *person* in focus, they should
require to have *a person who is_a_patient* in focus.
Can you register this part as a wishlist bug on launchpad ?

Maybe first needs discussion? You yourself pointed out, higher up in this post,
        ... no explicit marker to the effect of "this is a patient"

so we would first need one, or else an alternative marker
        "do not allow this person to be too easily made into a patient
e.g. in the case of persons defined in GNUmed to have some relevance as non-patients, for example doctors in one's local community who often would not (yet could) be patients.

I would relabel the "Patient details" widget to "Demographics" which
will cover the general case whether or not the person is a patient.

Done.

:-)