[Gnumed-devel] gnumed-server packages

From: James Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed-server packages
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

Our wiki topic ServerInstall says:

To get the 'gnumed-server' package, one needs to add the software repository
'experimental' to the list of sources.

Is it reasonable for me to modify the above to say instead

The server package should only be obtained from 'experimental" by those
advanced users whose interest is to ensure that 'experimental' does not break
anything or cause data loss. Anyone with production data must *only* update
their server software from 'testing' or (when urgency would demand) from
'unstable' and *only* after backing up their database.

Am I correct to think that normally it should be enough for people evaluating
gnumed to do
   apt-get -t testing install gnumed-server

Testing as at today, as evaluated using the handy package I learned about online
   apt-show-versions
and piping the output to grep for the string gnumed-server as follows
   # apt-show-versions | grep gnumed-server
yields
   gnumed-server/testing uptodate 0v10.5-1

BTW doing the same for gnumed-client yields
   gnumed-client/testing uptodate 0.4.5-1

Also, if I understand correctly,

1) packages that were uploaded into experimental stay there, perhaps until
someone makes a changelog entry instructing approval that it can move to a new
target distribution... this can be a required delaying tactic when some other
package having the same name (like a lower-numbered version of gnumed-server)
is still sitting in unstable waiting to move into testing

2) packages that enter the unstable distribution (whether by direct upload or
by passing from experimental into unstable) spend at least 14 days there for
evaluation before passing into testing as per a non-maintainer upload (NMU)
protocol.