Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Client menu suggestions was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.5.rc2
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:49:08 -0700

On 22-Jun-09, at 6:30 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

...Please test and report bugs.

I have some ideas for feedback on the menu items...

1) Office is not often accessed to "Manage master data". May we give higher priority to usage by clinicians and shift this menu to the right, after Knowledge and before Help?

2) In support of the office workers who may often access the Office > Appointment item, can Appointment be given a keyboard access shortcut Alt + A?

3) Under the EMR menu:

Show Summary provides no information different than what is shown within the EMR tree, on the right text area, when the EMR "root handle" is itself selected. Especially since the EMR tree text is selectable (whereas what is in the Show Summary dialog box is not) it appears to me we would not lose anything by dispensing with (removing) the Show Summary menu item. Is there some reason why we should still keep it?

I am thinking EMR > Export may be a less common function... can it be moved to the bottom of the menu beneath a ------ separator?

and can we pull
        Show as > tree view
        Show as > chronological view
out of the submenu to fit them into the main level of the EMR menu and relocate the creation items into an Add/Edit menu as below:

Add / edit - Alt A
        Allergies - Alt A
        Hospital stays - Alt H
        Measurements - Alt M (was "Observations > Add Measurement(s)")
        Notes - Alt N
        Occupation - Alt O
        Past history health issue - Alt P
        Substance (medication) list - Alt S
        …Start new encounter - Alt S
(are we allowed a leading ellipsis, as suggested for …Start new encounter?)
Search EMR text (renamed from Search)
View encounter list - Alt E
View journal - Alt J
View measurements - Alt M
View substances - Alt S
View tree - Alt T
---------
Export EMR...

... also, can we remove the menu item "Progress notes editor" or else call it "Old progress notes editor"? Do we even know if anyone uses it? It may be allowed to still be a plugin without needing to be a menu item?