Re: [Gnumed-devel] Workplace refactoring

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Workplace refactoring
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 22:05:00 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 06:49:05PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> 1. alter the selections within the workplace GNUMed default, save this
> new configuration, and then open a new client. This is a cheat, since
> instead of switching *among* pre-defined workplaces, it *alters* an
> existing workplace which then creates problems if other users wish a
> different combination.

And it shouldn't really be used - it would be somewhat
similar to storing clinical data under Kirk and expecting it
to stay there.

> 2. insert a single workplace name into a backend server level,
That is not possible.

> or machine level (?),

in /etc/gnumed/gnumed-client.conf

> or user level gnumed-client.conf file

gnumed.conf, that is

> --> the problem here is how, at the worker level, to over-ride when
> moving between different machines other than by having a personal user
> account (and therefore having to logout and login) under each machine?

You need a login to use GNUmed.

> The following was said in January... how would it be implemented that a
> GNUmed user (who was not logging or logged into the machine as a system
> user) could have attached to their GNUmed login a set of plugins to be
> used *separately* from (over-ride) any workplace, if one had been
> specified?

They cannot. Users are not taken into account when loading
plugins.

> At the wiki page CustomizingBackendLogin there is a specification for
> profiles... is there a solution here to define multiple profiles, each of
> which could reference the same database but a different workplace, so
> that in this way the workers could choose (via the login window of the
> client that is being opened) which workplace to select?

We don't have a database connection at that point. Doing it
anyway creates a maintenance nightmare.