[Gnumed-devel] Re: web client via pyjamas

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: web client via pyjamas
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 18:06:53 +0200

>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Hilbert <address@hidden> writes:

Sebastian> Am Dienstag 07 Juli 2009 16:27:06 schrieb Gour:

Sebastian> Looks to me like you got hooked :-)

To be honest, I must say it looks very promising.

Sebastian> Would be great to see any proof of concept port of let's say
Sebastian> a simple plugin like the xdt viewer.

I'm aware of that, but we're still in very hectic times peforming some
fine-tuning work in or newly-inhabited house.

Sebastian> I guess it would be a lot of work to start by repacing the
Sebastian> whole GNUmed GUI in one go but you could attempt to make a
Sebastian> plugin run by porting as much as needed.

I agree.

Sebastian> There will never ever be a way to access python direclty
Sebastian> inside the browser.  There is a bridge (xpcom if I am right)
Sebastian> to rewrite the application to talk to python for database
Sebastian> access and stuff but there is no way to access psycopg2 or
Sebastian> PIL or any of these modules directly from within the
Sebastian> browser. So from my limited knowledge I would say that one
Sebastian> has to write some more bridging code to feed any data from
Sebastian> the database to the browser.

FAQ says/recommends to use e.g. Django for Models - Django has nice &
very useful utility to inspect legacy database and import into its ORM.

Otoh,  one of the devs wrote on ml that he uses Storm, so, all in all,
having GNUmed's database scheme in some ORM does not sound so
bad. (despite being aware that attemmpt to move to SA is, afaik,
abandoned.)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6