Re: [Gnumed-devel] Marital Status (was Re:How gnumed deals with death)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Marital Status (was Re:How gnumed deals with death)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:25:07 +0200

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:19:16PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> By the way, looking at the identity table, marital status is not a
> unique property of unique individuals... the same individual can be
> divorced (from one person) at the same time as married (to a different
> person) or can be married to two people at the same time, sometimes under
> the same name and sometimes in secret under the same name or different
> names.

True enough. I didn't think of that before.

> I almost wonder if this is something to be kept textually in social
> history, as I am not sure of the medical relevance of marital status

That's probably right. It is often used in insurance policy
handling, though.

We will probably best be reluctant to add any further
support on this to GNUmed.

> What also does this imply about whether anywhere to capture religious
> affiliation?

We shall maybe be reluctant here, too, although this can
have more clear-cut clinical relevance (transfusion or other
therapy denial, dietary restrictions, etc).