Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed_v10 client : patient deletion

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: gnumed_v10 client : patient deletion
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:34:26 +0200

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 05:37:56PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> >The key thing is to run
> >
> >     set transaction_read_only to off;
>
> Is this a default protection shipped with Postgres or is it
> something that GNUmed activates just for the GNUmed databases?

The latter.

> I did not see any lines like this among the instructions for
> configuring pg_hba.conf  and pg_ident.conf and so I wondered how
> GNUmed manages to constrain pgAdmin III from doing a write unless
> the user of pgAdmin III would also issue
>
>       set transaction_read_only to off;

During bootstrapping it is saved into the database defaults
(along with other sensible settings):

        # we want READ ONLY default transactions for maximum patient data safety
        curs.execute("alter database %s set default_transaction_read_only to
on" % self.name)

It is sanity checked during client startup:

        u'default_transaction_read_only': [u'on', u'accidental database
writes', False],