Re: [Gnumed-devel] Synching

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Synching
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:01:25 +0200

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 09:01:48AM +0200, Thiemo Kellner wrote:

> >>is there the possibility in GnuMed to defer the changes to data such
> >>that one could use the GnuMed client soft on a laptop or the like
> >>and commit the changes to the database when back from seeing
> >>patients ?
> >
> >I am not aware of any PostgreSQL technology allowing for that.
>
> Hm, actually a transaction is exactly what does this.

Well, but not disconnected.

> What I was thinking about that the GnuMed client might be able to
> cache data and make changes on that information.

That'd effectively mean implementing master-master
replication with conflict resolution right in the client
which is something far bigger players have failed at.

> And only when
> connection to the database is available again, the changes would get
> transferred to the database.

The hard problem isn't so much caching of data in
disconnected mode but rather resolution of conflicts later on.