Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: the benefit of setup tools

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: the benefit of setup tools
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 21:59:18 +0200

> Sebastian> Thank god you said that. I recently had a private discussion
> Sebastian> with someone not involved in GNUmed anymore who told me that
> Sebastian> it is virtually essential to convert to setup.py
>
> You can take as you like. I'll just quote from official Python docs
> avaialble at http://docs.python.org/install/index.html:
>
> "The new standard: Distutils
>
> If you download a module source distribution

Now, there, GNUmed is not a *module* for Python. But maybe
I am misinterpreting what they mean by "module source distribution".

> you can tell pretty
> quickly if it was packaged and distributed in the standard way,
> i.e. using the Distutils. First, the distribution’s name and version
> number will be featured prominently in the name of the downloaded
> archive, e.g. foo-1.0.tar.gz or widget-0.9.7.zip. Next, the archive will
> unpack into a similarly-named directory

similarly-named: I dare say GNUmed-v11/ is similar to GNUmed.v11.tgz

Nonetheless we improved even on that based on your
suggestions yesterday.

> Of course, you can always do whatever you want.

Sure, but we try to evaluate choices and suggestions and
do something reasonable.