[Gnumed-devel] Updated server packages

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Updated server packages
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:44:47 +0200

Hi all,

Not everyone is a computer wiz. Moreover it seems that a lot of people are
interested in GNUmed. Many of them do not handle the installation very well.
While technically sound the installation up to this day required that you took
the time to learn a bit about PCs and Operating systems. Over time we were
drawn into a conversation along the lines 'Everyone else has an easier
installation'. Engaging the user into a technical discussion is often
pointless.

In the end I have decided to give the user what he or she wants. The current
client and server installation packages now bring along everything needed.
This has been the case for the client for quite some time and it has been
largely successful.

Now the same is true for the server. GNUmed relies on the high quality
database server PostgreSQL. It has always been the case that the administrator
had to install and configure PostgreSQL. Most users are not administrator and
failed right there. I therefore decided to take care of the PostgreSQL
installation.

The advantage is that boostraping now runs without user interaction. The
disadvantage is that I had to set a default password for the postgres account.
I repeat I had to set a default password for the postgres account.

If you prefer to configure everything yourself (like you should) you still
can.

http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/InstallerGuideWin

Sebastian