Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Medication viewing

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Medication viewing
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:25:17 +0100

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:18:05AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> I am tempted to suggest:
>
> 1) reverse the position of the checkbox filter items Unapproved and
> Inactive
>
>       --> Inactive, Unapproved

Done.

> 2) relocate the narrow Unapproved column to become the rightmost of
> the columns. This way, if it is toggled on or off, this would show
> or hide only the right-most column.

Done. Note that this does not simply toggle the column
display but actually includes/excludes substance intake
entries based on their approval status.

The underlying intent/reasoning behind this approval
business is that this table is going to be used for *all
kinds* of substance use -- including i.v. drug (ab)use,
smoking, alcohol, you name it.

> I am not fully sure how the clinician behaviour is helped by the
> presence of this column.

It may help inform on whether a particular entry of, say,
cannabis smoking (pain control), alcohol intake (CVD
prevention), or i.v. drug use (Methadon substitution) is
approved of or considered abuse / inappropriate /
unapproved.  It helps documenting whether a patient is
taking NSAIDs for regular pain control despite her doctor
doesn't approve of that because of known GIT problems.

Or the patient is taking silbutramin weight loss pills which
we don't approve of but must be aware of in hypertension
control.

> Presumably there is no intended duration
> (Dauer) and this will be blank and also among the Unapproved will be
> things that worry us, and other things which (although useless) may
> be no health concern. Therefore it is not reliable that missing
> checkmarks need be a reminder to target time to pursue
> discontinuation by the patient.

Well, yeah, it'd be the road to madness to try to document
such fine-grained detail in specific fields.