Re: Feedback Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.6.rc1

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Feedback Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.6.rc1
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 13:53:29 +0100

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:12:10AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> >>Substances
> >>=========
> >>the default view when clicking "on" the checkbox "Unapproved" shows
> >>"O" which is again a wx issue of default column widths… it seems to
> >>auto-scale only to the width of the widest content (checkmark) while
> >>ignoring the width of the heading ("OK?")
> >
> >will make that a fixed, sufficient, width

done, 30 pixels, double the width from previously

> >>the substances are presumably being displayed as user-entered as raw
> >>data or as looked up from an external database?
> >
> >What is displayed is native to the GNUmed database.
>
> You mean "the tables, as shipped"

yes

> which, after local activation,

What do you mean by "local activation" ?  One does need to
upgrade to v12, yes.

> can be added to?

yes

> Questions:
>
> clin.consumed_substance
>       ... is the internal reference data

yes

>       ... normalizes, across what different patients consume, the
> substance name (and ATC, if the substance has an ATC)

yes

>       ... provides the foreign key constraint for clin.substance_intake

yes, to achieve the previous bullet point

>       ... allows more than one substance to have the same ATC because the
> ATC may not be unique?

yes, for example across foreign languages - same name,
really, but spelt differently

> clin.substance_brand
>       ... external database

no, GNUmed-internal table of substances in brands

The external database does not appear internal to GNUmed
anywhere -- except in clin.drug_brand-to-be.external_code.

>       ... design is very limited at this stage (brand names per ATC code)

yes, we don't even have the clin.drug_brand table yet, which
I am working on

>       ... eventually the strength and preparation and brand might come
> from this or a linked normalization table
>
> but presently only the name (normalized) comes from
> clin.consumed_substance and nothing comes from the external database
> except the brand names via ATC lookup (but not using foreign key
> constraints)

There is no live link between the GNUmed database and the
external database. That links is only set up on demand by
client software via either of

        ATC
        .external_code
        INN
        brand name

> >>The drug "generic" (chemical, nonproprietary) names are HCT
> >>and Metoprolol whereas in my pharmacology classes and in reference
> >>texts these are spelt with lower case. Presumably any change at the
> >>local database level will not be specific to the patient but to all
> >>patients in the local database.
> >
> >If you go to GNUmed / Master Data / Substances you'll change the
> >reference INN being linked to from various patients, yes.
>
> clin.consumed_substance ?

correct

> >>Maybe a date field is missing from the Edit widget?
> >
> >No.
>
> but since on 2009-10-29, at 12:50 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>
> >I see the value in a .last_actually_used field. Let's
> >document that and keep it for a future revision.
>
> then this is agreed suitable for inclusion in the substance entry /
> edit widget? Were you thinking excessively fine-grained for 0.6 and
> preferring for 0.7?

Yes.