Re: Feedback Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.6.rc1

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: Feedback Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.6.rc1
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 17:01:09 -0800

On 2009-11-28, at 10:43 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:29:55AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>>> What I am referring to:
>>>
>>> The popup informing of the "unknown message type" is a
>>> rather intrusive <message box widget>.
>>>
>>> We could remove the popup and inform the user by writing
>>> something into the status line at the bottom of the GNUmed
>>> client. That would be much less intrusive.
>>>
>>> Alternatively we could also do "nothing" if the message is
>>> of "unknown type".
>>
>> Agree. But additionally note re the Inbox:
>
> This would be a Yogi Berra answer ("If you come to a fork in
> the road: take it")
>
> Which approach do you agree to (prefer) ?

Before answering the above, I would argue it useful to have more ways to easily
delete than only the control-click. IMO customary for a GUI to supply buttons
for the most frequent actions. Shall we supply in the Inbox a "Delete message"
button?

When allowing the user to delete a message that pertains to unreviewed
documents or labs, do we wish to warn the user that this only deletes the
notification (but that the related documents or results remain unreviewed)? I
am wondering if it is better to not allow this, in other words that it is only
after (automagically upon) their being reviewed that these would disappear and
attempts to delete them prematurely would issue a warning?

This might answer whether it is a bug that despite trying to delete
"clinical/review results" / "unreviewed results for patient Kirk" the message
does not in fact get deleted?

Do we wish to make it possible in the inbox to reassign the message to some
other clinician? Wishlist? Or would it automagically happen already if
unreviewed results would be reassigned?

Double-clicking would ideally bring the user to useful action. In absence of
any other defined workflow for a message category and type, I would suggest we
keep the popup, and that it say:

        "No double-click action defined for this message category and type."

and it could even supply within the popup the option to delete since this
should likely be an appropriate "dumb" option for any type of message for which
no hook-up had yet been done.