[Gnumed-devel] Scanning Xsane, gscan2pdf, Simple Scan, Tesseract OCR

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Scanning Xsane, gscan2pdf, Simple Scan, Tesseract OCR
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:01:42 -0800

I offer the following either for potential interest, and/or because in I will
have some follow-on questions in my next posts:

XSANE
********
Scanning-multipage-documents-in-xsane.html

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2009/02/scanning-multipage-documents-in-xsane.html

gscan2pdf
***********

Referencing SANE, PDF, TIFF export
        http://gscan2pdf.sourceforge.net/

Debian package
        http://packages.debian.org/sid/gscan2pdf

Ubuntu GUI menu screenshot
        http://www.ubuntugeek.com/scan-to-pdf-using-gscan2pdf-in-ubuntu.html

Simple Scan (for Ubuntu)
**************
http://bobthegnome.blogspot.com/2009/12/introducing-simple-scan.html

OCR
*****
Tesseract OCR
        http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9676

gscan2pdf … produces a PDF with the recognized text in a hidden layer behind
the image… to make the PDF indexable by desktop search helpers like Beagle.

There's also the xsane2tess script, a wrapper for tesseract-ocr that can be
used with xsane's scan to text feature. See:
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/xsane2tess (in French, but try Google translation).
        http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/138511