Re: users in red text was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.6.rc4

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: users in red text was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.6.rc4
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:06:44 +0100

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 09:45:00AM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> the bottom couple of users are in red text?
> >
> > Those are technically borked accounts (not member of the
> > required database groups etc). This in contrast with
> > inactive accounts which are greyed out.
>
> Would such borked accounts typically denote some user(s)
> who tried to create a new account but, at the point where
> they were required to enter the gm-dbo password, lacked it?

No, that shouldn't result in any account creation because
the gm.create_user() procedural function inside the database
cannot be run at all.

> Does this both serve to indicate either
> - somebody monkeying around (playing)

Yes, at the database level, both maliciously as well as just
mis-informed.

> - a legitimate user need, perhaps attempted without the right authorization

Sure, if they tried from the GUI, didn't have the password
for gm-dbo, decided to try at the console level but failed
halfway through for some permission reason.

> ... and can a gm-dbo password holder make use of what is
> already there, and properly authorize a user to be added to
> the required database groups?

Yes, the gm.create_user() function can be run on existing
database users to "fix" them.

> That would for example give
> the office admin a chance to do other busy work while the
> new user is inputting and deciding their own preferences.

But then we don't have a partways means of creating users
from within the GUI.