[Gnumed-devel] Re: French drug database in GNUmed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: French drug database in GNUmed
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:05:46 +0100

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:52:24AM +0100, Eric MAEKER wrote:

> >Thanks for the kind offer. Are you saying FreeDiams handles the
> >data access
> >part and acts as a mediator between the database and Medintux ?
> Yes MendinTux calls as an external process FreeDiams with specific
> command line params and an exchange file (that contains nothing for
> new prescription or the prescription to modify with FD). FreeDiams
> reads and analyse the exchange file. User prescribe/modify with
> FreeDiams. When FreeDiams is closed --> exchange file is filled and
> MedinTux just has to store the content where it does.

That is a one nice way of interaction. We already have this
type of interaction with one German (commercial) drug
database so there's no problem at all with accessing
FreeDIAMS this way. I can easily write a GNUmed - FreeDIAMS
connector for that.

> Well for now I'm only using french DB. Using sqlite .import there
> are no special problem as files are CSV tab formatted.

That is what I meant: One would want some scripts external
to FreeDIAMS itself which download FDA/Canada data from the
web and turn it into CSV. Then FreeDIAMS can import it.

> The main problem is that those database comes without any DDD...

That's why I suggest adding ATC codes. Once you have the ATC
code you can get the DDD from elsewhere by use of that code.

> That's a problem because users must redefine their own "dosages".

Wouldn't previous dosages automatically accumulate through
use ?  Also, the DDD are often not the proper dosage one
might actually use in prescription. They often only give a
hint as to what might be the correct magnitude.

> Yes no problem, the database structure must be as described in my doc :
> http://ericmaeker.fr/FreeMedForms/doc/database_structure.html
> There are some part of code I'll must change to adapt to your datas,
> but nothing unconquerable ;) Interactions between drugs are
> calculated via french INN so you will not have access to this
> functionnality untill you translate all INNs...

Which could be solved by using ATC codes (which would need
to be added to the French INNs, of course).

> Yes, like this :
> GNUMed
>   | (calls external process FreeDiams - must be configured)

No problem.

> FreeDiams
>   |  (reads your preferences, opens the selected database : fr, us,
> drugref2)
>   |  (reads and analyse your exchange file)
>   |  (let you work)
>   |  (end of process :
>   |     prescription is transmitted as HTML for presentation
>   |     and hidden XML for futur modifications
>   |     via the exchange pure text file)
> GNUMed
>   |  (stores prescription into its DB as a non-modifiable HTML
> document)
> FreeDiams can be recalled with the HTML/XML datas without any lost !

No problem.