Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 91, Issue 51

From: Elizabeth Dodd
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Gnumed-devel Digest, Vol 91, Issue 51
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:50:15 +1000

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, richard kim wrote:
> Hi.  I am new here, so take these comments for what they are worth, and I
> apologize ahead of time for any ignorance.  I, with a group of friends,
> tried to start an EMR project of our own, but it fell apart completely.  I
> hope to share my opinion from my experiences.
>

> My personal bias is that a web interface is essential, and even a
> preferable means to access an EMR.

Thanks for your comments.
I don't want a web interface. The use of a browser within my network
immediately increases the risk of malware (unfortunately the software runs on
Windows only), because once one browser window is open then its just two mouse
clicks to another tab.
All the malware that has entered my work network has been through browser use,
so I am more than moderately paranoid about this.

> Setting up a server-fat client model can be
> difficult for physicians, even just to experiment and test the product.

Physicians are not coders and sysadmins. My long distance assistant helps me
with the sysadmin and does all the necessary coding (bash scripts etc). He's
at Uni, and I pay his keep.
Otherwise I would pay local someone to do the work.

--
It may or may not be worthwhile, but it still has to be done.