Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system h

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Postgres 8.4.4-1 (Enterprise db) problems -- system hosed?
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 01:46:52 -0700

On 2010-06-29, at 3:28 AM, Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> Whoa. Hold it. First we need to find out what exactly the problem is Jim is
> referring to.
>
> Second Jim already has PG built from source through MacPorts

FYI, I did not get as far as people might have thought:

1. Using MacPorts, while I did already install GNUmed client's dependencies
(which themselves depended on postgresql), output from the command

        port installed

includes only postgresql84 @8.4.4.0 (active). Not installed us the server port,
whose name is postgresql84-server (8.4.4), so that would have to be installed
separately.

2. I did note, in the console output during the above, a warning from the
postgres installation routine which suggested I report to postgres (but which I
did not yet do)... Karsten suggested that the warning should have no impact on
the client, but I did not take it as assurance that a local MacPorts postgres
would function correctly (but maybe it would) ...

3. Sebastian had anyway suggested Enterprisedb so I figured I would give it a
try, accepting the default install directory /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4 but
whether or not it was the fault of edb or Snow Leopard is did not work out :-(

4. I did not yet download or run the GNUmed server package, so Karsten cannot
yet infer that postgres will run on Mac with minimum defaults (but maybe it
will)

5. I had been poking around my own machine's postgres, to satisfy myself I
could get it ready for GNUmed and running, and found that I had *two* copies of
pg_hba.conf:

/Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/pg_hba.conf
/Library/PostgreSQL8/data/pg_hba.conf

the second being left over from some effort from a year ago (which I since
deleted) and maybe I will delete what edb installed, too

-- Jim