Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface - pyjamas

From: lkcl
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface - pyjamas
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:04:07 -0700 (PDT)

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> Am Freitag 09 Juli 2010, 23:43:07 schrieb lkcl:
>

> Hi Luke,
>
> Great to have you here.

:) thanks.

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

>> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
>> > supposedly going through a language-to-Javascript compiler
>> > will fail badly in case of a bug
>>
>> this is *precisely* why we have the unit tests, of which there are about
>> 3,000, and the ultimate aim is to run the entire python regression test
>> suite (under pyv8 - not in a browser of course).  nothing goes in to the
>> pyjs compiler without a unit test to back it up.
>>
>> http://pyjs.org/examples/libtest/output/LibTest.html
>>
> Good to know. I picked up that argument in the beginning of my research
> from
> some website. It might not hold true for pyjamas and was uttered with
> regards
> to GWT

ohh, interesting.  yeah, GWT has massive mindshare (30,000 on the mailing
list instead of 500) so they kinda have a million monkeys as well as several
full-time paid up google employees to substitute for unit tests.

we don't have that luxury, and yes, i did see people complaining about "how
can i trust pyjs" so i made it an FAQ question.

libtest saved our bacon a couple of times!

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

>> it's very new but pyjsglade does exist.  it's a GUI editing tool, similar
>> to gtk glade.
>>
> Ah. Nice to know. I was told that those tools are mostly  a starting point
> and
> when you want to do something more complex you are going to to it by hand
> anyway.

pretty much that's what i hear, too.  some of them are code-generators, some
are "dynamic", some do both.  glade does both (i think).  not sure what kees
has been up to :)

basically by "dynamic" what i mean is that the GUI tool is a convenient way
to create an XML file, something like this:
< pyjamas.ui.HorizontalPanel Width="100%" >
   < pyjamas.ui.Label Text="this is a test" />
   < pyjamas.ui.Button Text="click me" />
   < pyjamas.ui.Label Text="this is another test" />
< /pyjamas.ui.HorizontalPanel >

that would, somewhat blindingly-obviously, create a Horizontal Panel with
two text labels and a button in between them.  the "creation" of that actual
HP+labels+button can be either done by handing the XML file to some code
which parses that XML at *runtime* orrrr you could hand it to a *compiler*
which spews forth this code:

 p = HorizontalPanel(Width="100%")
 p.add(Label(Text="this is a test"))
 p.add(Button(Text="click me"))

 and then that auto-generated output gets handed to pyjs (or executed under
pyjd)

 you see the difference?

 this latter is where you have the convenience of being able to go "ok,
party's over, GUI-builder: my app's beyond your capabilities, i take over
manually from here".  with the dynamic version where you hand the XML file
to the application at *runtime* that's a little bit trickier, but you end up
with far less code to have to wade through.

it's entirely up to you: whichever is more convenient / easier to
understand, do it.

personally i can't stand GUI builders :)

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> I did the research to make it easier for someone else to start and to
> avoid
> having to do the research. Right now I am more then busy with some GNUmed
> features to implement.
>
> If anyone else could come up with at proof of concept done in pyjamas that
> would be great.

*sigh* let me take a look.  i'll poke around, see what's easy, and at least
get things started.

*spitting teeth* wtf? :)  135mb download/dependencies on debian/testing,
including... ruby?? openjdk-6?  guys.. what the heck's going on?  perl
upgrade, to perl 5.10.1??  *lol* - this is python, right?  you're sure that
gnumed is in python? :)

anyway - i'll put a leeetle bit of time in, but as i'm an (almost completely
unfunded and) independent free software developer, it won't be a lot.

l.