Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface - technologies

From: Dave Cramer
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed web interface - technologies
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 08:36:02 -0400

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Sebastian Hilbert
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Starting a new thread on this. If you had to implement it what would be the
> tools and technologies to develop a state of the art , future-proof web
> interface ?

I think you have converged on some sort of JS generator.
"future-proof' is an impossibility, but that's a moot point.

> Some items that are mixed into the soup are, pyjamas, python, postgresql,
> webbrowser, css, static html, gmPG2 (gnumed postgresql middleware), psycopg2,
> HTML5, SVG
>
> I just threw in a bunch of terms here that I have come across when doing
> research on what a webinterface could involve.
>
> A lot of qestions remain.
> What server side framework (if at all) would you use. We have heard django
> mentioned a couple of times.

OK, this is going to be the tough one. I've noodled this before with
another company xtuple who uses QT for their UI and postgresql for
their backend. The tough part is that you can't easily have two
different technologies messing with the backend data simultaneously.
If you intend to keep your python thick client interface and have a
web interface work at the same time. Are you ? I guess that is an
important question.

Many of these server side frameworks have their own logic for data
consistency which you would have to adopt in the python client. ie
optimistic vs pessimistic locking of records.

If you are indeed serious about keeping both clients web, and thick
then I would think that both of them would have to access the data
through some middleware in order to maintain data integrity and keep
one codebase.

> How does Cherrypy fit in this conceptually. Is cherrypy even needed ?
>
> Almost everyone including JS developers are barking at raw javascript. Now
> that we have hear quite a few things on pyjamas that seem not to be neccessary
> any more ?

Yes, raw javascript is only for masochists.

> Are there any obvious drawbacks ? How do we handle local peripheral devices
> such as chipcard readers or laboratory equipment ?

These are very good points which I dont think there is a good answer
for. At the moment the only thing I can think of is using them like a
keyboard wedge.

Dave