Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed and FreeDiams
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:06:15 +0100

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 12:52:46PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> that are extracted
> >> dynamically from FreeDiams without these values existing in
> >> GNUmed's own
> >>
> >>    branded_drug
> >>
> >> table?
> >
> > Technically that is surely possible. But there's currently
> > no code to do so.
>
> So…
>
> there *is* code that achieves this using the German external system (?)

No.

> but…
>
> in order to support in-country use of branded drugs which match (for example)
> FreeDiams, the options will include:
>
> 1) populate branded_drug

There's code for that for both Germany and FreeDiams.

> and if (1) how do we load GNUmed branded_drug table for use in Canada? Do we
>
>       - pull it from drugs-en_CA.db

That is possible.

>       - pull it from Canadian source?

That is possible.

There is code for neither so far (and not for Germany
either). What there's code for is to read the German and the
FreeDiams exchange file and use that to populate
branded_drug.

> My suggestion would be that work is already done to clean
> up Canadian source to fit it into Freediams drugs-en_CA.db.

Since we go

        GNUmed -> FreeDiams -> selection -> exchange file -> GNUmed

we automatically take advantage of that.

> Also, the form in which this data lives in the FreeDiams
> table 'DRUGS' seems already very suitable for GNUmed
> therefore a command of a form referenced here
>
>       http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite.html
>
> … either outputting it using one of the supported specifiable
>
>       separators like "," or "|"
>       formats like "csv", "column", "html", "insert", "line", "list", "tabs",
> and "tcl"
>
> … or as .dump
>
> ?

I would suggest using "insert" or "csv" format, create
appropriate staging tables inside GNUmed (there's a schema
"staging"), import the data into that, then apply SQL
scripts to transform the staging data into ref.branded_drug
and ref.consumable_substance and ref.lnk_substance2brand,
and then drop the staging tables.