Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians: coding use case survey - please respond !

From: Rogerio Luz Coelho
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] clinicians: coding use case survey - please respond !
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 22:04:56 -0300

2011/5/3 Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
Hi all,

with the groundwork for coding now in place please respond
to the following scenarios (don't worry about the medical
sanity):

       (remove either "yes" or "no", maybe add a comment)

#--------------------------------------------------------
Patient has episode "URTI" coded to an appropriate ICD code.
Doctor changes episode description to "hypertension".

I would expect the previously linked ICD codes of "URTI" to
not any longer be linked to this episode:

       no
       comment

I would expect that a new code was ADDED to this episode, old code should still appear
as in ICD 10 terms

N390 + I10

I would expect any known ICD codes for "hypertension" to
automatically be linked to this episode:

       no
       comment
The ICD 10 for instance has many levels of specificity, and I would like to leave it to the phycician to input what he/she thinks is the correct level for that episode. A frasewheel is the way to go

#--------------------------------------------------------
Patient A has health issue "COPD". Patient B also has
health issue "COPD".

I would expect to be able to link *different* ICD codes to
each health issue *despite* that the two issues have the
very same name:

       yes

I discover in patient A that there is a wrong/missing code
for "COPD". I correct/add that code.

I would expect patient B to now *also* automatically have
the added/corrected code for "COPD":

       no
      comment
I would NOT expect the program to try to GUESS anything from the patient's history to make auto-coding, it is responsibility of the physician to put the code and he is therefore responsible for its correctness

#--------------------------------------------------------
In a list of terms with their codes I add/modify/remove a code
to/from the term "Fracture of left tibia".

I would expect that now all patients with episode "Fracture
of left tibia" have the updated list of codes for that term:

       yes
       no
       comment

Didn't get this one ... you mean to say that the code of Tibia was wrong and someone fixed it? This should only be permited to the dbo. And then we get a HUGE problem, we will have to think twice about what to do here.

#--------------------------------------------------------
In a list of terms with their codes I modify the term
"Fracture of left tibia" to "Fracture of skull".

I would expect that now all patients with episode "Fracture
of skull" have the list of codes which was formerly linked
to "Fracture of left tibia":

       yes
       no
       comment

Ahhh ... I see the deal now, well I would expect that ALL modifications that affect the codes be always INCREMENTAL.
Say in 2022 GNUmed has ruled the world (with the help of a white mouse called Brain) and the ICD 11 is finally implemented, I expect that the codes for ICD 10 still show (maybe with an asterisk of maybe with ICD 10 besides them) and the new code may automatically be generated from the old one (say I10 becomes IxxSS10) - then I suppose I would want to see the codes as:

I10* -> IxxSS10

I would expect that all patient with episode "Fracture
of left tibia" now do not have any codes anymore linked
to that episode of theirs:

       yes
       no
       comment

I think the above kinda responded this also.

Rogerio